Gone are the days when you have to bring spoiled food and lukewarm beverages due to the warm temperature to a picnic or camping. With the soft cooler bag, everything you need to be cold will remain cold.
It is an essential item for campers who want to keep their drinks cold and who need a place to store their food so that it won't spoil easily. It is also useful for fishermen who need a cold storage space for their freshly caught fish
Due to its importance, the soft cooler bag grew in popularity, and different manufacturers produced different models and designs. Each one is designed to be carried conveniently in your backpack or empty beach bag.
With numerous designs you can choose from, you have to be cautious in buying one, and it is important to find out which one is the best soft cooler bag for you.
Types of Soft Cooler Bag
There are several types of soft cooler bag available in the market. Each type has its purpose and use depending on the user. Although different styles may vary, a soft cooler bag has three primary styles:
- Lunch Box Style – This type of design was modeled after the regular lunch box design. Most cooler bags with this design have removable liners which make the cleaning of the interiors easier.
A lunch box style soft cooler bag also has a detachable strap. It is perfect for keeping your sandwiches, veggies and small juice packs. If you want to use this as your personal pack, then this type is the best soft cooler bag for you.
- Well-insulated to keep your beverages cold
- Perfect for small snacks and can serve as a lunchbox for your kids
- Removable interiors for easy cleaning
- Interior not big enough to feed a family
- Not recommended for long trips since it can only store food in limited quantity
- Shoulder Bag Style – If you are planning to feed more than two persons or a small group, then this style is the best soft cooler bag for you. It can store food and drinks for up to 4-6 persons. The materials commonly used for shoulder bag style are from flexible materials for easy storage. The style also compliments what you are wearing since this can pass up as an ordinary bag.
Unlike the lunch box, some models of shoulder bag style don’t have a detachable strap. However, it comes in a wide array of designs ranging from affordable to more expensive models.
- Big room for storing food and drinks for a small group
- Easy to carry with its sling straps
- Much expensive than the lunch box style
- Backpack Style – If you’re more comfortable carrying your bag on your back, then this style is the best soft cooler bag for you. It’s easier to carry and comes in different sizes. Some of the models even offer waterproof design. It is perfect for long travel hiking or mountaineering and other activities that require the use of both hands.
- Easy to carry
- Perfect for long travel
- Not enough room to feed a group
Buying Guide and Tips
These are the factors you need to consider when buying the best soft cooler bag for you.
- Size – If you’ll be mostly using the soft cooler bag for your travels with your family or friends, then you might consider buying a bigger cooler bag. The cooler bag that you should choose for your family and friends should have room to store enough food to feed everyone.
- Insulation – If the insulation of one bag is outstanding compared to another bag, then consider that as the best soft cooler bag in the market. Sometimes the best cooler bag boils down to whichever model has the longer retention or the ability to keep your beverage cooler for a longer time. Check the insulation system of the bag, and check for small openings that might affect the insulation.
- Ease of Use – This is something that people who are looking for the best cooler bag often miss to check. A soft cooler bag is easy to use if it has a knitted zipper which is easy to zip and unzip. Some models have smaller zippers, making opening and closing the bag a bit of a hard work. Small openings also make it extra hard to put and remove contents. Thus, it is important to check the bag first and see if you are comfortable using it.
- Durability – It is important to check whether the bag you’re eyeing would last for years. Even if the ad says that this is the best soft cooler bag in town due to good insulation, it will still be a waste of money if the bag won’t even last for a year.
- Portability – This is where the choice of style comes in. Consider the purpose of the soft cooler bag and how easy it is to carry along with you.
For other accessories and gears for outdoor activities, out South Texas Kayak. It has a wide array of reviews related to kayaks and other outdoor activities.