The steps on how to launch a kayak from shore should not be that hard as long as you have the basic knowledge on how to do it the right way. However, it can be a little challenging especially for first timers in kayaking.
When practicing, it can be easy to enter a kayak when it is on land because the ground makes a stable surface where the kayak can stand on. However, it is another issue when learning how to launch a kayak from shore. It becomes difficult when the water starts pulling in the front of the kayak.
With a step-by-step guide on how to launch a kayak from shore and some practice, it can become easier and simpler.
Launching a Kayak from Shore Alone
When you have a single paddle kayak, you are most definitely going to be alone when you launch it from shore. You can follow this step-by-step guideline on how to launch a kayak from shore when solo.
- Place the cockpit of the kayak at the edge of the water when you are using a plastic kayak. However, when you are using a composite kayak, place the cockpit farther out into the water to prevent any scratching in the hull.
- Hold the kayak paddle beside you using both of your hands. Take note that the shaft of the kayak paddle should be angled perpendicularly to the boat and its spoon side should face upwards.
- Then, hold the shaft of the paddle at its midpoint just behind the cockpit while you are simultaneously holding the back edge of the combing or its outer edge.
- Tilt then the kayak paddle until the blade now rests on the beach. If you are using a composite boat, set the paddle blade on a firm surface just below the surface of the water.
- It is alright to sit on the shaft of the kayak while you enter the cockpit. However, keep your weight over the paddle.
- Use the kayak paddle as a stabilizing support when you now place your feet on the kayak. Then, slide your legs inside.
- You can now attach the spray skirt. Keep the grab loop in front of you, but this should be placed outside the cockpit.
- Bring the kayak paddle before you.
- Using one hand, place the kayak paddle into the sand and push. Make sure that the blade is facing downwards. Use your other hand to make a fist and push the kayak into the beach. You can also use your hips as additional forward thrust.
- Once you are in the water, you can now start paddling.
Launching a Kayak from Shore with a Partner
Another technique on how to launch a kayak from shore is to have a partner to help you with it. By following the step-by-step guide on how to launch a kayak from shore with a partner, it will be quicker and easier to kick start a tandem kayaking activity.
- Place the cockpit at the edge of the water if you are using a plastic kayak. Make sure that the bow is in the water and the stern is on the beach. When using a composite boat, on the other hand, place the cockpit farther out into the water to prevent any possible scratching in the hull. However, this means that you are most likely going to get your feet wet when you enter the kayak.
- Let your partner straddle the stern of the kayak and use both hands to stabilize the boat.
- Then, you can now step into the cockpit and slide into a seated position.
- Adjust the spray skirt. You can ask help from your partner when needed.
- Let your partner give you a push into the water.
- Once you are set into the clear water, you can now start paddling.
Additional Tips on how to Launch Kayak from Shore
- One of the first things to do on how to launch a kayak from shore is choosing the ideal place where you can launch your kayak. Select the position where there can be minimal Avoid a place where the surf is dumping into the shore or where you can be washed up into danger.
- Before you slide into the kayak and push yourself into the water, position your kayak about 90 degrees into the surf and in a location that can balance the kayak when being floated out on the waves.
- Launch Another thing to consider on is knowing the ideal timing to launch the kayak. Watch the waves and launch the kayak when the waves are not breaking into the shore.
Kayaking can be a fun activity especially if you know how to do it right. Launching a kayak from the shore is another thing to master. You can also read a few kayaking tips and guides on our website for additional knowledge.